[MOBY-l] Biomoby and Taverna 1.2

Rebecca Ernst rebecca.ernst at gsf.de
Thu Aug 4 08:16:35 UTC 2005

Hi Mark!

I already understood that noone agrees with us ;-)
Funny thing is that everyone keeps talking about collections of
collections which Dirk never wanted.

snip from Dirk:

Correct. That's why we did not ask for nested collections. We suggest to allow
for multiple Simple output as default  - which I think is very appropriate
because  especially query services will usually return more than one result.
This way we would save the collection concept for semantically related
entities.

I am still not sure if anyone has really understood why we have problems
with the collections as they are used now but we are happy to leave them
as they are .

Although if I think about it I have to ask one more provoking question
( ;-) ) : Why do we have Simples in BioMoby then? I only have VERY few
services that give back simples according to the API. From my point of
view we could also leave Simples away as they make no sense to me. It is
of no valuable information to me if a service gives back exactly three
or an unknown number of AGI codes....

But as I said already - if everyone is happy with the current use of
collections I will be quiet from now on :-)
The problem is then only shiftet to the clients (As seen in Taverna it
leaves a much bigger job for the clients as they will have to split the
collections)

Cheers,
Rebecca

And you guys in Vancouver would rather go to bed now :-)