[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] Java developers, let's talk together

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Thu Sep 16 15:55:01 UTC 2004

  Martin> 2) Building. What about to use Ant? :-) At the moment, some
  Martin>       subprojects
  Martin> does not support much re-building by other users. Such
  Martin> support should be a primary rule for an open source
  Martin> project. Or am I too autocrative here?

  Martin> 3) Third-party libraries (the ones we have only as jar
  Martin>       files).
  Martin>    There is no single solution.

Easy rebuilding is an essential. You might want to take a look at
Maven. Its a little complex, but has some nice features. I've not used
it in anger yet, as its not worth moving over existing infrastructure,
but if you are putting a lot of new stuff in.

Probably the nicest thing about it, is that it has good support for
third party libraries. It gives a clean mechanism for obtaining new
versions, describing which sub-projects use what, and if you have
several projects using maven for sharing files between them. This also
makes publishing your own work in a form people can build on easy.

It might be worth having a look at. It builds on top of ant, rather
than replaces it.

Cheers

Phil