[MISC] Re: [MOBY-l] RDQL and moby registry?

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 9 16:44:39 UTC 2004

Hi all,

it seems that some of my messages from last night never got through...
I'm re-sending my answer:

It should be possible, in principle, to search MOBY Central using RDQL
already.  There is an RDF representation of the registry at:

http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/ServiceInstances

It is auto-generated, so it should always be up-to-date.  AFAIK there is
no reason that you couldn't just do RDQL searches on that document.

Let me know if it works for you.

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 09:19, Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Michael> What is the potential application of RDQL with the current
>   Michael> registry system, or future revisions of the system, and do
>   Michael> you think it will prove useful?
>
>   Michael> (RDQL is a RDF query language basically)
>

>   Michael> Here is a demo of RDQL. There is a perl module for RDQL
>   Michael> too, I noticed.
>
>   Michael> http://www3.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/rdfapi-php/test/custom_rdql_test.php
>
>   Michael> Just hit "submit me!" and it searches for the creator of
>   Michael> the RDF document.
>

> I don't know whether Mark is putting a RDF/RDQL backend onto moby, but
> within the mygrid project we have created a similar semantically
> searchable registry. The current version, written by Pinar Alper, uses
> a RDF backend (using Jena) and gets all of its query functionality
> through RDQL. We've also used RDF/RDQL for storing
>
> It works quite well.
>
> So yes there is definitely a potential application for RDQL within
> future versions of moby. Mark can say for himself if he is going to
> try it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil
Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre