[MOBY-l] Moby in workflows

Simon Twigger simont at mcw.edu
Thu Oct 7 22:09:02 UTC 2004

Hi Tom,

I havent used Taverna but have heard about it on the list and from
Martin. We arent using Taverna at this point but I think this type of
workflow tool is wonderful and will be a great help to people trying to
chain services together. I gave Taverna a try for the first time this
afternoon and had some issues on Mac OSX, I submitted a bug report on
sourceforge. Consequently, I havent had a chance to really play with it
so my thoughts so far are limited to rather superficial observations.

I agree with Rebecca's point that a non-gui implementation would be
great so that we can design workflows in Taverna but then pipe things
into them behind the scenes. I'd love to be able to create a custom
workflow in Taverna and then wrap it up as a 'component' or other black
box and then be able to pipe input data to it from Java (perl?) and
have the output come back such that I could use it appropriately. This
would be a great way to quickly create code to solve complex problems.

Thinking about giving this to average lab end users, is there any
chance we can create workflows by dragging connections around on the
Workflow diagram? The Model explorer no doubt gives more flexibility
but it would be so intuitive if people could drag connections between
objects rather than building in the explorer.

I wonder if a drag and drop approach would work for running workflows -
drag your input file onto a workflow icon to send it on its way,
results being returned to the desktop (or similar).

I'll try again on OS X and XP and explore some more and try some MOBY
services and see what happens.

Simon.