[MOBY-l] toString() method in MOBY::Client::Central::retrieveNamespaces

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Fri Mar 26 10:21:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a problem when using the MOBY::Client::Central::retrieveNamespaces method, and
someone else trying the exercises (*) in my tutorial informed me about the same problem:

Can't call method "toString" on an undefined value at
/home/fgibbons/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/MOBY/Client/Central.pm line 1234.
         MOBY::Client::Central::retrieveNamespaces('MOBY::Client::Central=HASH(0x8a7d64c)')
called at /d0/home/fgibbons/cvs/BioMOBY/MyScripts/ex2.pl line 6

(this is the line that generates the error:
  $desc = $elem->getFirstChild->toString;
)

His platform and versions are:
(Version/OS info: Perl 5.8.3, Debian Linux 2.4.18)

Mine are:
perl, v5.6.1 built for alpha-dec_osf

The same script works on a recently installed MacOSX with the latest
versions of all thr CPAN packages required to run a biomoby script.

According to the documentation:
  retrieveNamespaces

   Title     :    retrieveNamespaces
   Usage     :    $ns = $MOBY->retrieveNamespaces([$reg_name])
   Function  :    get the list of all registered Object types
   Returns   :    hashref of hash:
                  $ns{$namespace} = $definition
   Args      :    $reg_name:  name of registry you wish to retrieve from (optional)

the argument is optional?

Does someone have an idea about this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center

(*) the script is this one:
http://www.pasteur.fr/~letondal/biomoby/biomoby-tutorial-perl-sol.html#exo-by-name-io