[MOBY-l] revised service output...need some explanations though...

Michael Jensen mdjgf8 at mizzou.edu
Thu Mar 25 14:54:15 UTC 2004

Thanks for your help Mark, and Ken! Here is the output of my service
(extractGeneProteinNames) when 'We observed an increase in
mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) activity.' is the input (it
extracts names of genes or proteins and scores them, along with
acronyms):

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<moby:MOBY xmlns:moby='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'
xmlns='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'>
     <moby:Response moby:authority='not_provided'>
         <Collection>
             <Scored_string namespace="" id="">
                     <String namespace="" id=""
articleName="acronym">MAPK</String>
                     <Object namespace="Global_keyword"
id="mitogen-activated protein kinase" articleName="string_component"/>
                     <Long namespace="" id=""
articleName="score">0.90884572798250385</Long>
             </Scored_string>
             <Scored_string namespace="" id="">
                     <String namespace="" id="" articleName="acronym"/>
                     <Object namespace="Global_keyword" id="MAPK"
articleName="string_component"/>
                     <Long namespace="" id=""
articleName="score">1</Long>
             </Scored_string>
             <Scored_string namespace="" id="">
                     <String namespace="" id="" articleName="acronym"/>
                     <Object namespace="Global_keyword"
id="mitogen-activated protein kinase" articleName="string_component"/>
                     <Long namespace="" id=""
articleName="score">1</Long>
             </Scored_string>
             <Scored_string namespace="" id="">
                     <String namespace="" id="" articleName="acronym"/>
                     <Object namespace="Global_keyword" id="increase"
articleName="string_component"/>
                     <Long namespace="" id=""
articleName="score">0.06212914418525689</Long>
             </Scored_string>
             <Scored_string namespace="" id="">
                     <String namespace="" id="" articleName="acronym"/>
                     <Object namespace="Global_keyword" id="We"
articleName="string_component"/>
                     <Long namespace="" id=""
articleName="score">1.0000000000000237e-300</Long>
             </Scored_string>
         </Collection>
     </moby:Response>
</moby:MOBY>

I like Mark's idea of using a collection for this, rather than
formatted text. I think something like MedLine abstracts are more fit
for the formatted text option. I am trying to figure out a few things
still. What do I need to put in for the Scored_string namespace
attribute?

<Scored_string  namespace="$inputNS" id="$inputID">

Does that mean the user will be sending a namespace and I just pass
that through? And if there is none then I leave it blank? Same
questions with the id attribute.

My second question is about the Global_keyword. One of the problems I
see is that the returned scored text isn't always just one word, like
'MAPK' or 'increase', but will spell out an acronym and return that, as
in 'mitogen-activated protein kinase'. From what I know, Global_keyword
is designed to be only ONE word, so is there something else like
Global_text or do I have to make that or what?

My third question is with this new Scored_string thing. Is it an
object? I'm a little confused about that, but I think once I know what
it is I can figure out how to register it. Do I have to do anything
different because it is part of a collection or no?

THANKS everyone!

-Michael Jensen
mdjgf8 at mizzou.edu

(Mark, my email box was full I think so your email kept bouncing back.
It is empty now. :)