[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Output of a service

Catherine Letondal letondal at pasteur.fr
Sun Mar 21 12:51:01 UTC 2004

Ken Steube wrote:
> Catherine, there could be some other reasons why you're getting no
> output from the service. Something in the configuration or registration of
> the service could be wrong and you might get no error message.
>
> Try these things:
>
> 1) Edit the dispatcher CGI and add a line
>
>       die 'xxxxx verifying CGI gets called';
>
> and try to execute the service. Look in the httpd error log file and
> see if the xxxxx line is there. If not, then maybe your URL to the
> dispatcher is wrong causing the CGI to not be executed.

Ok.
> 2) One the dispatcher CGI is being called, try to verify that the
> method test_SequenceToFASTA is being called. Put a die line like
> the one above in it and again check the httpd log. If the xxxxx line
> is not there then the dispatch is failing. Check to make sure you have
> the 'use MobyEd_services;' line correct and that the name of the service
> is correct.

Regarding the test_SequenceToFASTA, everything went Ok.
We have put the Melting sub in another module (something like
PasteurMoby_services.pm), though.

> 3) Maybe the file is not being compiled correctly. You might not see any
> error message even from failure to compile. At the top of the method
> test_SequenceToFasta put a line 'return $query;' to return the input
> without modification. Now you should see a return value, but it will
> just be the input echoed back. When you get to that point, you know the
> reason is later in the script and you can start to narrow it down.

We have run a debug script (exactly like in your tutorial), where
the Melting sub executed correctly.

So, since the test_SequenceToFASTA and the debug step were correct, we
wondered whether the errors could be more in the data format returned.

But I just found that there was a simple
perl bug in the Melting sub. So it's working, now (I still have
to see how to pass several parameters the right way), and we will now
proceed to decide about object types and service types.

Thanks for your advices (and for your tutorial)!

What would be really nice too, could be to have the source code of the
existing services (the sub doing the service and the registration code of
the corresponding objects and services).
That would really help.  Why not having this in the CVS for instance?

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center