[MOBY-l] An Ontology question

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 21 15:05:04 UTC 2004

Hi Ben,

I've been thinking about ways to extend the object (and service) ontology.
In fact, as part of the BioGraphNet project for exchanging protein/genetic
interaction networks (http://biographnet.sourceforge.net), Gabriel Berriz
and I have added an 'interaction_partner' object, and then extended it with
terms from the Proteomics Standards Initiative - Molecular Interaction
(PSI-MI) controlled vocabulary for interaction_detection, at least to the
first two levels.  Since this is development work so far, most of these
changes have been made in the test Registry that Mark put up a few weeks
ago, not in the 'real' registry.

So far, we've done this by hand, but clearly it would make much more sense
to either automate it, or better yet, find a way to link from MOBY's object
registry to a URI of PSI-MI's. Unfortunately, being an RDF newbie, I'm not
really sure of the best way to do this, or even if it's possible. I know
that Mark W. is meeting with the myGRID folks this summer, to discuss ways
to re-use their massive ontology, so that may obviate any other plans.

It strikes me that it might not be desirable to include any ontology in all
of its gory detail, at least in the absence of appropriate tools to
navigate and visualise MOBY's ontologies. Martin Senger has written some
really useful tools for that, but they generate static images rather than
interactive ones, so once below the spatial resolution of your
printer/screen, it's not possible to read it, and it's close to that right now.

Just a brain dump. What are you thinking?

-Frank