[MOBY-l] An Ontology question

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Wed Jul 21 14:28:10 UTC 2004

  Benjamin> Hello Moby,

  Benjamin> It seems that the moby system would benefit from a
  Benjamin> semantically richer object ontology.  Has anyone thought
  Benjamin> about ways to leverage existing ontologies (such as GO)
  Benjamin> for this purpose?

  Benjamin> curious to hear your thoughts

Well, GO itself describes the wrong thing, I think. MOBY needs an
ontology of datatypes, and analyses.

Several groups are thinking about producing semantically richer
ontologies. Within the mygrid project (www.mygrid.org.uk) we have a
fairly rich ontology (although possibly it's too rich!). Steffen
Moeller has also developed a small service ontology, and the moby
ontology is being worked on.

I'm hoping that we can all get together on this and work together to
generate a service ontology with good coverage, good usability, and
clear semantics. Lots of scope for pub/restaurant discussions at
ISMB, for those who are going to be there. If there is interest
outside the people that I've already mentioned, then we should
organise a small meeting (or "BOF" as people will insist on calling
them).

Cheers

Phil