[MISC] Re: [MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Name Space

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 11 23:49:13 UTC 2004

Yes... and no... the problem is that an LSID kinda sorta inferrs that
there is a resolver out there who can resolve it to data or metadata.
Since I cannot force e.g. NCBI to set up a resolver, and neither can I
force LSID's with the ncbi.nlm.nih.gov authority to come to biomoby.org
for their resolution (since the resolver address is embedded in the
LSID), I cannot make valid LSID's in any namespace that I do not
control.

This is irrelevant, of course, if we don't plan to resolve them... but
we already have various tools that DO resolve them, so we need to have
them resolvable... so we have to put them in our own namespace.

By using an LSID, I only promise that I will never change its meaning -
I neither promise that it will always be valid, nor that there will
never be another LSID with an identical meaning... so what we are doing
does not break the rules (though I agree it is unfortunate in the way it
is playing out)

--
Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae