[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Name Space

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 11 22:16:45 UTC 2004

yes, that was the plan... and in effect it still *is* the plan.
However, I cannot assign LSID's arbitrarily to another authority (this
is something they must do on their own), so for the moment all namespace
identifiers are in the "biomoby.org" LSID authority, and thus we have to
be careful of collisions.

Once LSID's become more widespread we will certainly stop using our own
LSID authority prefix and use the "genuine" one, as assigned by the true
naming authority, but until then... we're stuck.

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 17:37, Boris Steipe wrote:
> On Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004, at 16:18 Canada/Eastern, Vijay Narayanasamy
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I want a NameSpace for Agricola.
> >
> > In the GO http://www.geneontology.org/doc/GO.xrf_abbs there are three
> > entries for Agricola.
> >
> > 'NAL', 'bib' and 'IND'
> >

> What happened to the idea of namespacing like in LSIDs i.e. making a
> namespace valid only in the context of its issuing authority and thus
> effectively using the (working, sort of) ICANN resolution mechanism to
> ensure that namespaces remain unique ?
>
> The LSID of the object that Vijay describes apparently would be:
> urn:lsid:agricola.cos.com:IND:84014403
>
> The huge advantage is that this distributes the task of maintaining
> namespaces to the data providers - no need to register with a central
> authority.
>
> Sure, LSIDs are meant to be permanent and not every provider supports
> them yet, but that does not prevent anyone from using the principle on
> accession numbers from elsewhere, even if the other authority has no
> mechanism to ensure uniqueness and permanence in place - it just
> wouldn't be a proper LSID yet, even if it would be structured like one.
> But it would still serve the purpose at least as well as what's
> available already.
>
> I can't remember what the plan was, regarding that concept.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Boris
>
> ---
> Boris Steipe
> University of Toronto
> Program in Proteomics & Bioinformatics
> Departments of Biochemistry & Molecular and Medical Genetics
> http://biochemistry.utoronto.ca/steipe/

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae