[MOBY-l] Re: [MISC] Workshop...

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 23:06:10 EDT 2003

> Let's bring the discussion onto the moby-l list and get everyone talking
> about it.  Martin, Doug, and Catherine all have the same barrier with
> wrapping MOBY around their pre-existing services - I'm sure we can find
> a way to deal with properly if we, together, put our minds to it.

   Okay. In order to remove barrier for me I need:

   1) To be able to register my service by sending its WSDL or a URL to
the WSDL (I do not mind which one), to be able to say "this service is not
MOBY-native". The API says now "currently only ;moby; protocol is
supported.
   I do not like much the name 'soap' for it because it looks like the
Moby-native services use something else (which is not true, they use soap
as well). I would prefer probably name 'external', or 'external-wsdl'. But
this is not critical.

   2) To be able to register input and output data types in the same way
as you do with the Moby-native services.

   3) To be able to create (and use) a Query service object with a
different Protocol (not only with value 'moby' as the API dictates now).

   4) To add definition what is returned back by the retrieveService
method (the current API says "yet to be defined".

   5) To consider whether The Service List Response Object should not
contain also wsdl (or a URL of a wsdl) of the found service (if it is
'soap' ('external') service.

   6) Later, to consider to allow to register 'soap' ('external') service
without registering data types and extract their automatically from the
WSDL provided (I think that it will not be possible in all cases, but it
may help tremendously for those who have simpe WSDLs).

   From the discussions in Vancouver, I understand that this can be
accomplished quite quicky. Having that, I can try to register something
and to see other barriers (if any) I encounter.

   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger