[MOBY-l] parsing superset objects?

Ken Steube steube at sdsc.edu
Sat Oct 18 23:10:08 EDT 2003

Question:

  My service is receiving a GenericSequence, but somebody sends it a
  DNASequence which is acceptable for my service.  How do I parse the
  XML because I don't really know what is the main tag? The tag
  surrounding the sequence could be GenericSequence or DNASequence
  or any other inheriting object so I don't know what to look for.

  I'm thinking in this case we have to use a named argument so that
  you can get the <Simple articleName='mySequence'> object and then
  its child to locate the sequence object.

  Once you have it you have to find within the correct string and integer
  for the data. You can only do this reliably if they are named with
  their own articleName attributes.

Ken Steube            steube at sdsc.edu
San Diego Supercomputer Center @ UCSD
San Diego, California             USA