[MOBY] RE: [MOBY-l] Problem invoking services

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Oct 13 11:15:59 EDT 2003

:-)  You're ALMOST there!

Put your XML into a validator to discover the problem ;-)

(hint... you missed the closing tag on Object)

Just FYI - one of the decisions that we made at the meeting last weekend
was that, by convention, we will no longer allow ID numbers to be
prefixed with their namespace, so as soon as I update my service it will
no longer accept "GO:0003463" but only "0003463" as the ID field.  This
is because everyone uses a different convention for prefixing (e.g.
GO:0001234, gi|123456) so it is best to disallow it completely since we
break out the namespace component anyway.

As soon as I can find a couple of hours free I will write up the minutes
and update the API with the changes we made on the weekend.

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 09:45, Jay Potts wrote:
> Hey Folks,
> I think I'm getting a little closer to being able to query services, however
> I'm still running into a few problems. Although, at this point I think it's
> a question of sending the correct data. I'm a software engineer, and not a
> biologist, so I'm not exactly sure what most of these services do. :)
> Anyway, I'm trying to access the getGoTerm service.
> I've constructed the following message:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
>  <soapenv:Body>
>   <namesp3:getGoTermService xmlns:namesp3="http://biomoby.org/">
>    <![CDATA[<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <moby:MOBY xmlns:moby='<http://www.biomoby.org/moby-s'>>
> 	<moby:Query>
> 		<moby:queryInput moby:articleName='ccc'>
> 			<moby:Simple> <Object namespace="GO" id="GO:0008303" > </moby:Simple>
> 		</moby:queryInput>
> 	</moby:Query>
> </moby:MOBY>]]>
>     </namesp3:getGoTermService>
>  </soapenv:Body>
> </soapenv:Envelope>
>
> I've sent it to the endpoint:
> http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca/cgi-bin/Services/Services.cgi
> with the namespace: http://biomoby.org/#getGoTerm
>
> I'm able to do this now, without getting any errors or faults. However, the
> response I get seems to be mostly empty:
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
>       <moby:MOBY xmlns:moby='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'>
>         <moby:Response moby:authority='http://www.illuminae.com'>
>
>     </moby:Response>
>       </moby:MOBY>
>
> I take this to mean that it's just giving me nothing back, because I sent in
> the wrong data. Does anyone know from looking at the message I'm sending
> out, what I'm getting wrong? I'm pretty sure that GO id is correct, as I'm
> able to use the little moby client that's up on the web to query it and get
> a resulting GO_Term back.

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae