[MOBY-l] ideas from the CRIB

Paul Gordon gordonp at cbr.nrc.ca
Tue Mar 4 17:31:46 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Chris Wroe wrote:
> Richard,
<snip />
> All other relationships are confusingly called properties. They can be
> arranged into a taxonomy / DAG. They can have inverses (e.g. part-of /
> has-part), can be symmetrical, transitive (a part of a part of the whole is
> part of the whole), have valid subjects and values etc.

As an interesting sidenote, I have also worked with the GO DAG (we
won't go into the use of the word "ontology" ;-)), and have found it
useful to borrow from terminology and concepts from probably the
biggest vocabulary project on Earth, WordNet
(http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/).  For example hypernym, is a nice
way to say the inverse of is-a: hat is a hypernym of baseball cap.  As
opposed to holonym, inverse of a part-of: sailboat is a holonym of mast.

In any case, those who are not familiar but are interested in what kind of
semantic relationships have been used in other projects might want to
check this site out.

Regards,
	Paul

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum