[MOBY-l] ideas from the CRIB

David Block dblock at gnf.org
Sat Mar 1 00:00:53 UTC 2003

Hi moby-ites!
I'm attempting to surface for a moment, then go back to lurking.

I've been wanting to see a relationship ontology ever since our SymGene project started, and indeed, I spoke with Michael Ashburner about developing one, and he said that he had also started in on such an ontology.

I got to a similar place and set it aside, but since Singapore is bringing ontology support to BioSQL, it may be just about time to pick it up again, for us.  We want to track the metadata that connects two biological entities within our data warehouse, so we need something like RO.

I was told to use the tools developed for GO to build an ontology, then submit it.  So maybe I will, but for sure it needs to be a group effort.  Of course, an unambiguous starting point would be nice, but then it needs to be grown carefully, with some central authority pruning down community contributions into a logical, non-redundant system.

Sounds like it needs another mailing list :-)

If this is off-topic, respond off-list.  But I'm very interested in whatever develops here.

Dave
GNF
dblock at gnf.org
waiting for a new hard drive for my beloved, but battered laptop