[MOBY-l] discussion of GO abbs's and Re: [MOBY] Constructing MOBY objects

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jul 16 13:07:47 UTC 2003

Hi Midori,

Sounds good!  It is (was) on my list of things to do this week to make a
CGI that would output the MOBY Namespace database in the GO_abbs file
format, so that we could maintain the information in a single place...
however I was invited to write a MOBY manuscript on very short notice
and that has jumped into first place priority!

So many tasks, so few hands!

Mark

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 06:55, Midori Harris wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > > So does each namespace registered in mobycentral first need to be
> > > registered with GO? I was not aware of this, if it is indeed the case.
> >
> > Well... yes and no.  We're in a transition state right now where the
> > MOBY project is trying to use the GO abbreviations with the aim of one
> > day offering to take over the burden of curating this list (and this is
> > in-line with other aspects of the MOBY project relating to our
> > cooperation with the I3C v.v. becoming a resolver for namespace
> > LSID's).  So... it isn't *necessary* for you to register namespaces with
> > GO, but it would be nice to keep the two lists synchronized until we
> > make the final step of becoming the "canonical" source for datatype
> > namespaces.
>
> We might as well share any new entries that come to either GO or MOBY
> rather than make the submitter submit the same thing twice. You can send
> any that come to MOBY to me directly or to the GO mailing list. I'll send
> new GO ones to you or to the MOBY list, whichever you prefer (or you can
> grab GO.xrf_abbs at whatever interval suits you).
>
> Cheers,
> Midori

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae