[MISC] Re: [MOBY-l] People's experience with perl-based GUI libraries

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Dec 29 16:56:06 UTC 2003

yeah, perlTk is fine and VERY portable.  There are some small hiccups on
OS-X, but nothing insurmountable - Dave figured out how to get Genquire
working on OS-X, so we do have documentation on how to solve that
problem.

However, from my non-bioinformatic consulting work I have found that MS
Windows users find Tk interfaces quite off-putting and unnerving because
they don't have the same "look and feel" that they are used to.  This
may or may not be a serious consideration.   One big advantage of going
with PerlTK is that I can create 100% standalone MS Windows executables
using AS's perlapp so that makes distribution that much easier.  This
would not be possible with Qt, since you need to have the C-based
widgets installed and you have to pay for the Windows version of that!

>>sigh<<  ugh... it is becoming clear that Tk is probably the way to go
:-(

Excuse me while I wash the bad taste out of my mouth...

Mark