[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Services on MOBYClient

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Dec 8 19:51:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 13:13, Simon Twigger wrote:

> sub register_service {
>    my $C = shift;
>    my $reg = $C->registerService(
>      serviceName  => 'keywordToGene',
>      authURI      => $authURI,
>      contactEmail => $email,
>      description  => "Test service: matches gene symbol to RGD gene
> record, if available",
>      URL          => $url,
>      input        => [ ['', [Object => []]], ],

Should be:     input        => [ ['', [Object => ['Global_Keyword']]],
],

>      output       => [ ['', [String => ['RGD']]], ],
>      category     => "moby",
>      serviceType  => "Retrieval",
>    );

... more about this service later...

> If you try and register Global_Keyword instead of Object for the input,
> the service vanishes from the client even if you say you have a
> Global_Keyword as the seed.

In fact, registration should probably fail in that case since (contrary
to what I said in my last message) Global_Keyword is a namespace, not an
object type, so it shouldn't even successfully register.

about the service itself:

I'm still confused about what the service does... it consumes a "keyword" gene
identifier, and returns a string containing the same gene identifier plus a bunch
of cross-references... is that the intention?  If so, they why is it consuming
"Global_Keyword"?  Gene identifiers are not really keywords (per se), or at least
not the way you are implying that they be used.  For example, I executed your
service using "kinase" and got nothing, but I executed it using A2m and got
the locus. If it were really a keyword lookup, I think I would have expected
a return from "kinase".  As it is, you are calling RGD ID's "keywords" and thus
taking all of the semantic meaning out of them.

??? I guess this is just a test service, but I'm concerned...