[MOBY-l] service = method ?

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon Oct 28 21:16:56 UTC 2002

Gudmundur Arni Thorisson wrote:
> The
> Unix-philosophy, piping the output of one program into the next, is
> something that I generally hold with, and therefore I like the whole
> MOBY philosophy as well.

That is definately the "vision":

input->transform->output/input->transform->output/input->transform...

A transformation (i.e. service) that generates an output object type
that is only usable by another program in its own service suite is not
really a problem, but should only be done if there is some need for
end-user observation or filtering of these intermediate objects,
otherwise I would consider it to be a single service and do the "pipe"
on the server-end, rather than register two separate services.

> But one question though, to the MOBY-savvy developer: could the service
> provider define a 'super'-service of some kind, in MOBY-speech, that
> uses two or more of its own methods implicitly, so that the user does
> not have to bother with the middle steps? Something like what Mark wrote
> earlier:
>
>     $x = $y->operation1->operation2->operation3

Absolutely yes!  And now you are at the point of controversy that I am
really struggling with right now:  How do you sensibly describe the
transformation that these services are undertaking??  Remember, we have
to somehow fit the service type description into an ontology!  When your
input and output objects differ by more than one "intuitive"
transformation it becomes very difficult to define a controlled
vocabulary term for that transformation, and even more difficult to know
where to fit it into a service type hierarchy!

As Charlie Brown would say... blech!

The solution might be to require services to be more "atomic", where the
service must fit into our pre-defined type ontology, but I think we lose
some of the MOBY magic by doing that - the idea of getting tangential
information from a query is one of the nicest aspects of the MOBY
solution, and that can best be done by "unusual" service types...

This is really the biggest octopus squatting on my brain these days, and
it has been there for months!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae dot com