[MOBY-l] service = method ?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 08:22:45 UTC 2002

> $x = $y->operation1->operation2->operation3
>
> but this is just a pipeline of 3 atomic operations that could equally
> well be broken into three separate calls.

   Could they really? Only if the operations return a handler to an object
which must be used in the next operation call. Which means that the
operations are *not* independent - but at the moment they are still
registered as individual services.

> I think we can find a happy compromise between completely restructuring
> MOBY Central to allow registration of complex operations, and supporting
> the type of interaction which I believe you are talking about
> (...actually, if you could send a specific example of what it is you
> want to do we would be able to talk in less abstract terms...)

   Here is my specific example (more details about this wervice can be
found at http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab):
   I want to call an analysis tool (such as blast, or EMBOSS's seqret)
with my sequence as input. But I know that the job can be long. So I want
to use two operations (this is a simplified example):
   a) startJob (analysisName, mySequence) returning a jobHandker object,
and later:
   b) getResult (jobHandler) returning a result object.

   Using such two-methods web service now I would need to register it by
Moby Central as two separated services:

   service "startJob", and
   service "getResults".

Which is doable but perhaps they may be other ways how to register the
same service once - but with two methods. For example, Moby central may
keep the current registration scenario for the services with one method,
but allow also a registration of a service by providing its WSDL - which
"magically" allows to have more methods in one service. But this was just
an example (and Mark showed another possible solution for that: "generates
a combined WSDL for every service downstream of a given node"), the more
pressing question is if we want the Moby Central to allow such
"state-fullness" services at all.

> $x = $y->operation1->operation2->operation3
>
> but this is just a pipeline of 3 atomic operations that could equally
> well be broken into three separate calls.

   Could they really? Only if the operations return a handler to an object
which must be used in the next operation call. Which means that the
operations are *not* independent - but at the moment they are still
registered as individual services.
   But this is just another example already commented on earlier.

   Regards,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger