[MOBY-l] further thoughts on atomic services & service description

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon Nov 25 21:14:42 UTC 2002

Martin Senger wrote:
 >>Can you define "web service" for me, as it seems that we might be
 >>chasing our semantic tails here...
 >>

 >    I mean Web Services as defined by w3c (http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/).

A quote from that page:
The generalized term "Web services" does not currently describe a
coherent or necessarily consistent set of technologies, architectures,
or even visions. The community of Web services evangelists, architects,
developers, and vendors represents a merging of at least three major
sources of inspiration, with various ideas taken from other sources as
well. Several streams of thought and practice have converged to produce
an amalgam of what we think of as "Web services", including:
     *      "Distributed Objects" or "Application Integration" --
exchange of programming objects or invocation of software functions over
a network.
     *      EDI / B2B - the exchange of electronic business documents
over a network.
     *      The World Wide Web itself - accessing human readable
documents and posting requests for information, products, or services
via the HTTP protocol.

... which is why I asked the question what do *you* mean by Web Services
  ;-)

Here's what I think you mean - please correct me if I am wrong:

I think you are defining a "web service" as "a SOAP interface that is
described by a WSDL" ("is" being the operative word, rather than "can
be").   I would agree that WSDL is becoming the de facto standard for
describing web services, but I disagree that it is the *only* way to
describe web service interfaces.  Nevertheless, I don't think there is
any disagreement that WSDL is what we will use in MOBY, and that every
MOBY service will be representable as WSDL. I believe, therefore, that
all MOBY services are web services by your definition... if I am
interpreting your definition properly.

But philosophically speaking, MOBY services are not "web services" (by
this definition) until they are actually *called*, since in MOBY the
WSDL doesn't exist until the service definition is requested from MOBY
Central... ahhh... existence!  We're playing God here!

I'd like to point out, however, that this is not part of the  most basic
W3C definition of a web service, as indicated in the note below:

2 What is a Web service?

Although there are a number of varied and often seemingly inconsistent
motivations for, and uses of, the term "Web service", at its core, the
following definition captures what we believe to be the shared essence
of the term:

[Definition: A Web service is a software system identified by a URI,
whose public interfaces and bindings are defined and described using
XML. Its definition can be discovered by other software systems. These
systems may then interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by
its definition, using XML based messages conveyed by internet protocols.]

This definition serves as the basis for the architetcure described in
this document.

Note:
Our definition of the term "Web services" does not presuppose the use of
SOAP as a packaging format or a processing model. Nor does it presuppose
the use of WSDL as a service description language. There are, and will
be in the future, plenty of Web services that use raw HTTP as a data
transfer protocol and some mutually agreed-upon XML format as the
message content. The Web Services *reference architecture* does,
however, assume that the higher levels of the Web services protocol
stack are built on the foundation of SOAP and WSDL.

In any case, philosophy aside, I think we are safe in saying that MOBY
services, and eventually MOBY Central, will be Web Services in the
strictest sense :-)

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae dot com