[MOBY-l] Use Cases temporarily in CVS pending Wiki

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu Nov 7 22:56:49 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

I have set up a UseCase folder in the CVS as a temporary place to hold
our use cases until we get a Wiki set up at open-bio.  In that folder is
a template HTML file, which can be filled in with your own use case data
so that we are all using a consistent format.

The one that I just committed is my first stab at a fairly complex use
case for which I can see a solution within the existing MOBY
architcture... though perhaps I have been too simplistic in my thinking
:-)  In any case, it's in the CVS, so jump in and point out the flaws in
my logic!  I certainly learned things about MOBY that I hadn't realized
while reasoning through the event flow to solve this use case - it
really was an extremely useful excercise!  There are a couple of things
that I clearly need to add into the registry API immediately, since it
is still not behaving in the way I had planned...

As soon as we get a Wiki I will take whatever use cases are in this
folder and move them there.

Members of all projects are welome to submit their use-cases, and the
solutions they have.  It might be an idea to add subfolders for each of
the different projects who may wish to participate in this game (MOBY,
myGrid, I3C, DiGIR) so that we can keep it clear which use case is
provided by which project.   It might also be a worthwhile excercise for
each of the different architectures to provide their solution to another
project's use-case (keep the same UseCase name, but save it to your own
folder) so that we can truly compare the strengths and weaknesses of the
different approaches.

Cheers all!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae dot com