[MOBY-l] Re: GO & I3C namespace listings - two alternatives

Jason E. Stewart jason at openinformatics.com
Fri May 31 22:48:21 UTC 2002

"Mark Wilkinson" <mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca> writes:

> "Jason E. Stewart" wrote:
>
> > * namespace - exactly what we have been discussing. Examples:
> >   GenBank/GI, GenBank/Accession, EMBL/ID, EMBL/AC, EBI/ArrayDesign
>
> Alan Robinson wrote:
>
> > If MOBY needs a vocabulary for databases names & identifiers, I suggest
> > that it adopts the same scheme as GO:
> >
> >  http://www.geneontology.org/doc/GO.xrf_abbs
>
> Is the I3C following another group's standard in this respect or are they
> making their own?  Do they have a (publically accessible) list of their
> namespaces?  Does GO follow the same standard as I3C (apparently not)?
>
> If we go with I3C we get hierarchy, if we go with GO we are more easily
> compatible with GO.  It makes no sense to build our own namespace CV if there
> is already one available...  If the I3C list is available I'd like to take a
> look at it before deciding on this.

I know of no such list from the I3C. They state explicitly that the
namespaces will be left up to each Authority, which seems to beg the
issue of what the hell do we do with the common ones like GenBank GI's
and SwissProt accession numbers?

I say use the GO convention for now and begin a discussion with them
to support a more hierarchical definition in the future.

Cheers,
jas.