Attn. Brian - Re: [MOBY-l] MOBY Duple? :-)

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Fri May 31 21:05:52 UTC 2002

"Jason E. Stewart" wrote:

> But even so, don't you think that it's worth calling out these bits
> explicitly:
>
>   <Object auth="bioinfo.pbi.nrc.ca" ns="ArabidopsisGID" id="At2332487"
>           sec="">
>
> and since 'seq' is optional it would be:
>
>   <Object auth="bioinfo.pbi.nrc.ca" ns="ArabidopsisGID" id="At2332487">
>
> I still think this is completely compatible with the LSID proposal,
> it's just that we pre-parse the information into its components.

I think we'll have to defer to Brian on this one.  My impression (from reading
comments in the I3C meeting minutes such as "they have their MOBY triple and they
don't care") is that the LSID is intended to be used exactly as written, and that
deviation from that, such as what we had with our triple + authority, is not on.
If we are allowed to parse it into our own format, and still claim that it is an
LSID, then we have been ~compatible with it right from the get-go.  My impression
was that we were not.

Brian - your opinion?

>   <Object auth="bioinfo.pbi.nrc.ca" ns="Arabidopsis/2.0/FooID" id="At2332487">
>   <Object auth="bioinfo.pbi.nrc.ca" ns="Arabidopsis/2.1/FooID" id="At2332487">

yeah, that's probably a good idea... though it is breaking away from the keep
things simple until they become necessarily complex :-)

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group
National Research Council of Canada