[MOBY-l] I3C Life sciences identifier

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Fri May 17 17:46:23 UTC 2002

Hi Michael,

Brian Gilman, a BioMOBY project member and developer, is on the Technical
Development (committee?) for I3C.  It is through him that we have an inkling of
what the I3C is doing.

<personal_gripe>
The fact that it *is* difficult to discover what the I3C is doing (and your
obvious discomfort in revealing their plans speaks to this) seems to also make
the community as a whole uncomfortable in my experience...  Given that they (we)
are the ones who will be asked put these unknown standards into practice, I can
understand that there is some objection to not being involved in the creation
process... but that is just my personal opinion;  I am not speaking for anyone
else involved in the BioMOBY project.  Certainly, this is the main reason that
all BioMOBY development is being done in the open with as much community
involvement as possible.
</personal_gripe>

Iny any case, Brian gave us an overview of the LSID at the last MOBY meeting.  We
considered it, played with it, and revamped our ideas somewhat to accomodate some
of the attributes of the LSID, but we didn't adopt it whole-sale.  As we've said
on this mailing list several times, none of us want to ignore other standards,
and it may be that we migrate closer to, or adopt wholeheartedly, the I3C's LSID
in the future, particularly if it ever does become an accepted standard.  As of
this moment, however, we have a similar identifier in the MOBY scheme that seems
sufficient to do the job at hand.

Having said that, perhaps this is a good time to revisit this issue.  We
discounted the LSID fairly quickly at the last meeting in favour of the
MOBY-Triple, and moving the AuthURI (and potentially other attributes of a
message) into the MOBY-Envelope.  Does anyone think that we should reconsider
this before we go too far?

Cheers all!

Mark

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."