[MOBY-l] BioMOBY & EBI Web services

Alan Robinson alan at ebi.ac.uk
Thu May 16 11:20:49 UTC 2002

Dear MOBY'ers,

I have been observing the MOBY project for quite a while now, and now that
you've received your funding from Genome Canada and started to pick up
speed, I thought I'd de-cloak & expose myself.

The EBI is participating in a UK-funded project that has some very similar
ambitions to MOBY called "myGrid" <http://www.mygrid.info/> &
<http://www.ebi.ac.uk/mygrid/>

  myGrid is a multi-organisational project funded by the EPSRC as part of
  the UK Research Councils e-Science programme and aims to develop the
  necessary infrastructural middleware (e.g. provenance, service
  discovery, workflow enactment, change notification & personalisation)
  that operates over an existing Web services & Grid infrastructure to
  support scientists in making use of complex distributed resources.

The EBI's role in this project is to provide programmatic access to some
of its bioinformatics resources using Web service technologies.

My personal requirement is that the EBI's services must be generic, and
not tied to specific implementations. I hope that our services may be
usable in bioMOBY without much modification, and so we'd like to
assess what is required for these archive & analysis services to be
registered with MOBY-Central.

Cheers,
Alan.

Alan J. Robinson, D.Phil.             Tel:+44-(0)1223 494444
European Bioinformatics Institute     Fax:+44-(0)1223 494468
EMBL Outstation - Hinxton             Email:  alan at ebi.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge
CB10 1SD, UK                http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~alan/