[MOBY-l] MOBY Central database schema

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon May 13 14:24:16 UTC 2002

Hi Jason,

We seem to be close to consensus :-)

Below I have trimmed out a piece of the GO database schema to show you what I
mean by the term2term table.  It allows us to build the hierarchy as a DAG or
a simple tree, whichever we prefer.  We can go either route at the beginning,
but it is good to have the flexibility to change later on without having to
re-write the schema.  It also allows each "edge" to have a particular
relationship type.   I think these three tables, together with the ones we
have already discussed, will be sufficient to keep us in business for quite
some time!

             Table: term
                     acc
                     id
                     is_obsolete
                     is_root
                     name
                     term_type

             Table: term2term

                        id
                        is_inheritance
                        is_obsolete
                        modification_id
                        relationship_type     # I have no idea what is stored
in this slot...??
                        relationship_type_id
                        term1_id
                        term2_id

             Table: relationship_type
                     id
                     type_desc
                     type_name

Ewan tells me that he has now given both Jason and Midori CVS access now.
Please check that.  Lucas - I just checked and you are NOT yet a developer.
I'm sending another request to Ewan right now - he'll write to you directly.
Hopefully he's still at work...

Gotta run!

--
"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."