[MOBY-l] Successes in Germany :-)

mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu Jun 27 17:54:26 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I'm back from Germany now.  I presented MOBY at three meetings while I was there
and it seems to have spurred an enormous amount of enthusiasm (and a couple of job
offers to boot!).  In particular, at the meeting of EMBO's eBioSci/ORIEL projects
it was warmly received and there were numerous expressions of interest from
various european groups regarding ways of integrating their projects with MOBY...
including a natural language processor ("fingerprinter") from Barend Mons
(Rotterdam) that we may be able to use to make a nice front-end.

I met with Robert Stevens (Manchester) while I was there, and we discussed the
various ways in which MOBY and his myGRID project can work hand in hand and share
as much with each other as possible, given their already striking similarities...
after describing the MOBY architecture to Robert he grinned and said, "I'm glad
I'm speaking first!".  He has built a wonderfully rich object/service ontology
that I would love to get my hands on (hint hint!!).  I also met with Daniel Schulz
from Lion Bioscience and discussed various things, including the possibility that
we might ask Lion for sponsorship (we are still trying to match the Genome Canada
award...)

I've posted the MOBY section of my talk on the BioMOBY homepage (link near the
bottom of the page).  Daniel - can you pick it up and present it to your
"superiors"?  Please be a good salesman!  :-)

If they seem receptive, I'd like to speak/mail with anyone from Lion who is
interested in learning more about the project.

That's about all the news for the moment.  To keep things moving I'm planning to
write a "how to set up MOBY services" tutorial and post it to the website.
Hopefully this will help others to get some services up and running so that we can
more thoroughly test the system, though remember that we are very much in the
experimental stage at the moment - don't make any grand public announcements of
the availability of your wonderful service as it may not be there tomorrow :-)

Best wishes everyone!

Mark

--
"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae.com