Fwd: [MOBY-l] Which machine deals with ontology issues?

Chris Wroe cwroe at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 09:20:46 UTC 2002

Mark,

We have come across similar issues in myGrid and haven't yet implemented a
complete solution.

When we built the service ontology, a 'service accepting a protein
sequence' was considered by the classifier to be a more specific kind of
'service accepting a sequence' because 'protein sequence' is a more
specific kind of 'sequence'. We ended up with a nice looking classification
but using the classification to find appropriate services caused the first
problem you described.

If we wanted to list all appropriate services accepting a 'protein
sequence' we returned all hierarchical descendants of 'service accepting
protein sequence' . In fact any service accepting a sequence may be
appropriate and services accepting more specific types may not.

A generic ontology server cannot deal with this, as it is an issue specific
to the typing of operations. We sparked off a long debate with the logicians :)
My current view is that the directory component (or mioBoby central) should
perform the expansion of the query to include services with more general
input types and not those with more specific types. If they are like me,
neither service providers or users will think of doing this on their own
and shouldn't have to.

The second question is about a service accepting only one kind of data type
or *any* kind of data structure that contains that type.
myGrid took the simple option. Services only accept the simple data type
and will fail when presented with that data embedded in some more complex
data structure. The current pre-prototype workflows included some minimal
format transformation steps to ensure the correct fragment of data was
passed to the next service.

The object ontology is planning for the future though! The hope would be
that various components of the myGrid framework will in the future be able
to interpret both ontological and XML schema datatype metadata to skim off
appropriate elements and pass only those to the service.

Chris