[MOBY-l] Into the lions den, and various other updates

mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Fri Jul 12 16:12:43 UTC 2002

Well... the seventh seal has been opened...

At Brian G's invitation I am attending the I3C meeting at the end of this month to
present an overview of MOBY.  I hope that The Force is strong enough in me to resist
the temptation of the Dark Side!!

FYI - here's an update on what's going on at the moment with various people:

- I am working on the BIB manuscript for MOBY, and am nearing a final version.  If
anyone wants to have a look at it before submission I would welcome the input.
Submision date is July 25th.  I'm also presenting MOBY at BOSC, and at the Genome
Prairie booth/sessions of the ISMB meeting.

- Lukas is working away merrily on the Object hierarchy, and is planning to set up a
service or two at TAIR, hopefully bringing in the GO Objects.  In aid of this, I
will set up a couple of services here at PBI that serve GO objects in response to
keywords or something like that just to get us a way of stepping into Lukas'
service.

- Midori is working on the Service hierarchy ;-)

- We're getting more good press; I was interviewed by the trade magazine
"Biotechnology Focus" yesterday.  Strangely enough, they contacted me to ask
questions about teh I3C's LSID proposal!!  :-)   I had to chuckle...

- My main focus for this month is twofold:  (1)  try to properly define our objects
such that they really do exhibit inheritance using the correct XSD schema, and (2)
try to set up, or help others set up, additional services so that we can at least
claim to have the thing up and running by the time we go to ISMB, even in prototype
form.

- Jason and I are chatting almost daily by phone discussing nitty-gritty issues,
which is really helping to solidify some of the ideas -  Thanks Jas!

There are other irons in the fire, but it is too early to mention them yet... but
there might be some exciting news over the next couple of months!

Cheers all!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae.com