Doh!! Re: [MOBY-l] Hmmm... ID objects or SpecificID objects??

mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Wed Jul 3 16:48:00 UTC 2002

As usual, I was too thick to understand what Suzanna/Jason were saying
in this thread.  Sorry!  This issue
came up again in a conversation I had with Luke in the pub last week and
finally realized what the problem is:  that we don't distinguish between
"cross-references" and "synonyms" in our current object structure.  I
think we (I) had originally intended to put synonyms into the
CrossReference
block, but I'm not so sure that is a good idea now that I think about it
again...  it could result in the
same piece of data being retrieved twice.  Yet it is important to pass
the synonyms back along with the object if they are known since
different servers will use different namespaces.

perhaps a synonyms block in addition to a cross-reference block would be
useful?  This also solves Jasons concern about services being agnostic
namespace (which they are already allowed to be, under the MOBY Central
registration system inany case, but this reinforces that...)

Other ideas?  I'd like to clarify this by early next week before I
submit
the BIB manuscript...

--
"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae.com