[MOBY-l] moby = bio web service?

Niranjan Vissa niranjanv at rocketmail.com
Sun Oct 14 05:03:36 UTC 2001

you are right abt UDDI! it is not open source. it is not even an open
standard, but something that has been developed by a group of companies
led by IBM, Microsoft and Ariba who someday hope to make it a standard.
it is indeed heavily oriented towards B2B transactions. (from uddi.org)

since UDDI can't be used for MOBY, what will one use for the central
registry in MOBY? must one write a new API from scratch?

(given my rather limited understanding of things,) the use of UDDI
seems to me to be only major difference between MOBY and a "typical web
service". the other components such as XML, WSDL, SOAP, etc. and the
general approach to the problem seem to be common to both.

niranjan

--- Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com> wrote:
> > is MOBY some kind of biological web service that uses XML/WSDL/UDDI
> > like other web services? how come i don't see any mention of UDDI
> in
> > the overview doc?
>
> I just went to have a look at the UDDI specs.  It sounds like they
> have
> come up with a very similar solution to MOBY, though reading the API
> it is
> obvious that it was specifically designed for B2B transactions (e.g.
> findBusiness and findRelatedBusiness calls are part of the API).
>
> I would worry about two things in particular:
>     (1) there is no obvious indication, as far as I could see, that
> UDDI
> is true open-source... which makes me nervous!
>     (2) It might be limiting to use a foundation which has been so
> strongly 'typed' to business activities
>
> I admit, these are just my first impressions after a 15 minute browse
> through the docs, so please correct me if I am wrong.  Does anyone
> know
> more about it?

=====
Niranjan Vissa

Center for Computational and Experimental Genomics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA 90089
vissa at usc.edu