[MOBY-dev] Updating vs generating RDF

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Oct 19 16:39:31 UTC 2009

Hi Pi!

The answer to your question may be simple, or may be complex, depending on
how dramatic your service interface changes are!

In the RDF, the URIs that look like:
http://biomoby.org/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/ServiceInstances/e0578ca78558ba81463c3e9f59412c9b

are simply hashes designed to be unique to that node, for that service
provider, for that service.  This ensures that we don't get
node-collisions when we integrate RDF from multiple service providers (as
was previously a problem with the auto-naming of bnodes that some RDF
libraries did).

So... if you need to edit the content of one of those nodes, just go ahead
and edit the content, and leave the node ID intact.  If you need to remove
a node, go ahead and remove it, no problem.  If you need to ADD a node,
however, then you're going to have to generate a 100% unique ID for that
node (unique within all of moby central).

Eddie can tell you how he hashes things to generate that number.

Editing the RDF can be done in any text editor, but you might prefer to do
it in Protege or whatever your preferred RDF editor is.

Cheers!

Mark