[MOBY-dev] xml:lang explored

Jason Stewart jason.e.stewart at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:30:09 UTC 2008

Hey All,

I have heard three ideas:

1) allow registration with multiple languages per instance
2) stick with english only
3) register with one language, but record the language

Of these cases I believe that using xml:lang is only valuable if 1) is chosen.

My understanding of the i18n support in general and xml:lang in
particular is to support a user setting his/her preferred language and
getting data in that language if it is available. So if the Dashboard
allowed us to set our preferred language to German and then retrieved
descriptions in German or fell back to English then I think we could
argue the effort was valuable.

But for case 3) I feel it would be a waste of effort - it wouldn't
change the existing user experience - it would just put a label on
what we already know. I don't believe users would search for services
with Spanish-only descriptions - but I do believe they would ask for
descriptions in Spanish if they existed.

I'm not here to advise whether we should or shouldn't support xml:lang
- only to advise that my personal opinion is that level of re-coding
is only useful if we support multiple descriptions in different
languages.

Personally I don't think there is a high demand in bioinformatics for
this feature - so I would advise against it. On the other hand - Mark
has pointed out that he hopes this work will have impact outside
bioinformataics. I can also add that the amount of code change is
pretty small for MOBY Central - the real impact is the change in the
clients to set language preferences.

So I am torn. I'm happy to make the change in MOBY Central - but it
won't be useful until the clients support it.

What do people say?

Cheers, jas.