[MOBY-dev] xml:lang explored

Pieter Neerincx pieter.neerincx at gmail.com
Mon May 26 22:41:34 UTC 2008

Hi all,

On 26 May 2008, at 20:59, Paul Gordon wrote:

> I think we are mostly polyglots on this list,

I'm a polyglot when I'm on holiday or in a pub maybe, but when I'm
talking bioinformatics stuff I'm a strict monoglot! Before we open
that can of worms: do we actually need translations? Did anyone
request support for different languages? Mark mentioned someone did on
the last developer meeting, but I didn't see anyone chime in on this
list with a request for other languages. I only noticed a few objects
and services in the official public Central containing descriptions in
Spanish (or is it Portugese?), which renders them useless for the
majority of users.

BioMoby web services are all about creating interoperable resources.
Introducing the Tower of Babel effect isn't going to help. I hope I
don't sound arrogant, but unless there are scientists out there using
BioMoby for research into language itself, archeology or culture, I
really fail to see why we need anything but the "de facto" standard
language for research. (No, I'm not a native Englisch speaker...)

Is there actually any major bioinformatics resource that supports
translations? I can't think of any, but maybe I should write an e-mail
to the NCBI, DDBJ, EBI et al. and request Dutch translations of
Genbank, PubMed, KEGG, Uniprot, Ensembl, etc. Might be fun to see if
and how they repsond :)...

> but for the sake of technical simplicity, I'd stick with just
> tracking the language rather than having multiple values in the
> registry.

For even more simplicity I'd opt for hardcoding the language to
English. Now let's hope the native English speakers are not going to
fight over whether international English means Australian, UK,
American, Canadian, or yet another English. If that happens I'm voting
for Dinglish :).

Just my € 0.02

Cheers,

Pi