[MOBY-dev] xml:lang explored

Jason Stewart jason.e.stewart at gmail.com
Mon May 26 07:21:23 UTC 2008

Hey all,

Here's what I have found out.

I don't believe that changing the current parser for Central.pm is
going to help the situation. I have looked and besides special API's
like the one implemented by LibXML::Reader, the application is always
required to maintain the status of xml:lang using the standard SAX and
DOM API's - for Java or for Perl.

We will have to preserve the information in the DB, so a decision
needs to be made on what level the xml:lang should be used - only for
descriptions?? or for the whole registration?? At the moment I don't
see any reason to use it for more than the description - how do people
feel about this? Changing this should require adding one column to the
DB.

Finally, do we want registration with multiple descriptions? That will
probably require a significant change in the DB - a new table for
linking descriptions to registrations. Are people happy about that?

Cheers, jas.