[MOBY-dev] data type suitable as a search filter

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:37:35 UTC 2008

I wonder if somebody can give me an advise.

I have a data type A (whose structure is very close to a simple name/value
pair). In one service, I would like to use this data type as a search
filter. In order to do it, I would need to add there an operator (to
indicate how to treat the value - like, equal, greater than etc.).
Therefore, I think about a new, more specialized data type AWithOperator. My
questions now are:

a) Is there already a data type that can be used to represent an operator
(so I would add it as a new article name into my new AWithOperator?

b) If not, does it mean that I am doing something which I should not? In
which case, what would be the correct way to do so? [Note that the usage of
secondary parameters is out of the question - I think - because the service
will have a collection of search filters and each of them can have different
operator while the secondary parameter is just one for the whole collection.
Correct?]

Thanks,

email: martin.senger at gmail.com,m.senger at cgiar.org