[MOBY-dev] Dead services and how to figure them out

Sebastien Carrere Sebastien.Carrere at toulouse.inra.fr
Fri Jun 13 14:29:27 UTC 2008

Bonjour ,

Thanks Andreas to restart the discussion about DeadServices and cleaning
the registry.
I encounter the same problem in Remora.
The DeadServices list provided  is not exhaustive as you say.

I launch every night a cleaner which do this thing:
- get all services registered in Mobycentral
- try to execute them with the perl command: eval
{$service_instance->execute(XMLinputlist =>[[]])};

Here is my list of Dead services (Ihave got also list for the 3 past
days for testRegistry and Inab registry) :
http://lipm-bioinfo.toulouse.inra.fr/remora/sessions/blacklist.mobycentral

(Format is "service_name    auth_uri    registry_name    error_message")

Most of them are 404 or 500 errors.

If my test is correct, that means that around 10% of services are dead.
And here I cannot test if the returned message is well-formed (many
changes happened since the birth of BioMOBY and maybe some services have
not been updated), so it's at least 10%...

 From my point of view, this problem of dead/non-functionnal  services
is really a critical one.
We develop tools based on web-services and we advice our users to use
tools such as Taverna, Remora etc...
So if the basis (web-services) is not robust, we lost all our credibility.

We deploy here (Toulouse, France) procedures to test our services every
night to ensure their availablity and stability.
I think it's time to currate the main registry.

What do you think about this ?

Sebastien