[MOBY-dev] [MOBY-l] Apologies, a hint for MIPS-Service substitutions, and an invitation

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jul 30 14:54:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:51:58 -0700, Andreas Groscurth
<groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de> wrote:

> I was wondering how you store this information ? are they mapped to the
> services/datatypes etc in the moby central database ?

At the moment we're not entirely sure where to put it.  I am loathe to put
it in Moby Central as we don't yet know what the quality of the annotation
will be (though I guess Moby Central isnt' curated either, so... it
probably wouldn't hurt).  Moreover, the Moby Central API isn't able to
query at the level of detail that we will be capturing these annotations,
so there's no compelling reason to put it there.  For now, we're putting
it in a local RDF store, but we may eventually move it into Freebase
(http://www.freebase.com/) to enable direct queries there.  we'll see how
it goes.

> so my suggestion is to think about a tagging system (via dashboard / web
> portal), which is permant available and allows everyone to tag moby
> stuff ?!

Certainly I think we need a dashboard panel that contains the annotation
interface (called "ED" - the Entity Describer http://entitydescriber.org;
written  by our very own Eddie Kawas :-) ).  ED is currently a bit too
tightly linked to Connotea, but we're in the process of ripping it out and
making it more standalone for this Jamboree.

Eddie, what do you think of a dashboard ED panel?

Mark D Wilkinson, PI Bioinformatics
Assistant Professor, Medical Genetics
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research
Providence Heart + Lung Institute
University of British Columbia - St. Paul's Hospital
Vancouver, BC, Canada