[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

José María Fernández González jmfernandez at cnio.es
Mon Jul 28 16:25:29 UTC 2008

Last weeks we (at INB) were talking about binary objects and data-by-reference
in our internal list (mainly related to the usage of XInclude), and we found
that on one hand XInclude allows referencing non-XML content:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#text-included-items

but that content must be string-like (with an associated encoding), not binary
one. So, when we realized that limitation we were talking about extending
XInclude in a non-standard way, considering a new parse style, called
'base64'. Standard XInclude understands parse='xml' and parse='text' styles,
and 'base64' parse mode would work like 'text' one, but encoding the content
in base64 before including it in the place of the reference.

	What do you think about this hack?

	Best Regards,
		José María

Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 05:28:43 -0700, Pieter Neerincx
> <pieter.neerincx at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If you want to replace this with a reference the actual data would
>> still have to be a base64 encoded piece of text. So you can not make a
>> reference to an image that exists as a plain JPEG, GIF, etc. on a web
>> server.
>
> Martin and I discussed this while he was here and the behaviour of this
> case will be part of his RFC proposal.  It seems to me that it would be
> silly to b64 encode something that is being passed by reference...  but
> I agree that to do anything else is a 'hack'.  Nevertheless, there are a
> lot of 'hacks' in Moby, and this one is one of the more sensible 'hacks'
> IMO...

"There is no reason why anybody would want a computer in their home" -
	Ken Olson, founder of DEC 1977
"640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981
"Nobody will ever outgrow a 20Mb hard drive." - ???

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth

José María Fernández González
Tlfn: (+34) 91 732 80 00 / 91 224 69 00 (ext 3061)
e-mail: jmfernandez at cnio.es		Fax: (+34) 91 224 69 76
Unidad del Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática
Biología Estructural y Biocomputación	Structural Biology and Biocomputing
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas
C.P.: 28029				Zip Code: 28029
C/. Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3	Madrid (Spain)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.