[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Jul 28 03:58:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:50:30 -0700, Paul Gordon <gordonp at ucalgary.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>> I am trying to figure out how I would implement the data by reference in
>> order to achieve the main purpose - not no have all data in memory.
> I think you are coming at this from a different side than most of us:
> data-by-reference is primarily to reduce the bandwidth burden by not
> requiring results to go back to the client before being sent to another
> service.

I don't think that is the PRIMARY reason, necessarily - we also want to
get around passing large objects in the SOAP message due to limitations in
the (Perl) SOAP libraries, and increasingly in the non-SOAP services where
passing large data inside of an XML tag doesn't allow for nice download
optimizations/caching, etc.