[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Pieter Neerincx pieter.neerincx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 23:48:03 UTC 2008

Hi José,

I don't understand how references could be security risk. And if they
do why the level at which you could use them would impact security.
Could you please explain?

If references to mobyData blocks are not an option having at least
references to BioMoby articles would already be a big help.
Secondaries are usually very small so I wouldn't need / use references
there, but for primary Simple and especially for primary Collection
articles it would be a big plus!

Cheers,

Pi

On 23 Jul 2008, at 19:47, José María Fernández González wrote:

> IMHO it can be dangerous for the MOBY payload integrity using
> XInclude at mobyContent childs (mobyData) level, but it can be
> needed in scenarios like the one described by Pieter. For security
> reasons, XInclude / XLink / XPointer should be restricted to the
> contents of mobyData, not to MOBY Data itself. For instance,
> references to Simples or Collections, Collections composed by a
> mixure of Simples and references to Simples, or Secondary parameters
> copied from run to run.
>
> 	Best Regards,
> 		José María
>
> Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:06:38 -0700, Pieter Neerincx <pieter.neerincx at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> That doesn't sound very appealing to me. I use quite large data
>>> structures and can have tens of thousands of them in a collection
>>> (think of oligos for micro arrays.) If I can only replace the
>>> primitives with references, I would still have to send a BioMoby
>>> XML structure with hundreds of thousands of references replacing
>>> the primitives.
>> Hmmm... that's a situation that we had NEVER considered!  Putting
>> xlinks into a component of the Moby message higher than the
>> mobyData block was not a scenario that came up during our
>> discussions in Tokyo.  the xlink was really only intended to carry
>> data, not data + moby message structure...  but I suppose it COULD!
>> How do others feel about this?
>
> --
> "There is no reason why anybody would want a computer in their home" -
> 	Ken Olson, founder of DEC 1977
> "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981
> "Nobody will ever outgrow a 20Mb hard drive." - ???
>
> "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth
>
> José María Fernández González
> Tlfn: (+34) 91 732 80 00 / 91 224 69 00 (ext 3061)
> e-mail: jmfernandez at cnio.es		Fax: (+34) 91 224 69 76
> Unidad del Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática
> Biología Estructural y Biocomputación	Structural Biology and
> Biocomputing
> Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas
> C.P.: 28029				Zip Code: 28029
> C/. Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3	Madrid (Spain)
>
> **NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso
> los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el
> uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución,
> reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra
> persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este
> correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje
> recibido.
> **CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any
> attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for
> the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution,
> reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party
> [...]

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen