[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Jul 23 16:55:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:06:38 -0700, Pieter Neerincx
<pieter.neerincx at gmail.com> wrote:

> That doesn't sound very appealing to me. I use quite large data
> structures and can have tens of thousands of them in a collection (think
> of oligos for micro arrays.) If I can only replace the primitives with
> references, I would still have to send a BioMoby XML structure with
> hundreds of thousands of references replacing the primitives.

Hmmm... that's a situation that we had NEVER considered!  Putting xlinks
into a component of the Moby message higher than the mobyData block was
not a scenario that came up during our discussions in Tokyo.  the xlink
was really only intended to carry data, not data + moby message
structure...  but I suppose it COULD!

How do others feel about this?

Mark D Wilkinson, PI Bioinformatics
Assistant Professor, Medical Genetics
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research
Providence Heart + Lung Institute
University of British Columbia - St. Paul's Hospital
Vancouver, BC, Canada