[MOBY-dev] getting RDF resources in the compressed format

Edward Kawas edward.kawas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 18:09:12 UTC 2008

Okay,

I set up mod_deflate on my local linux installation and tried it out.

Some results:
Service instance RDF:
	Original size: 7052579bytes
	Compressed size: 305092bytes
	Savings: ~96%
Object RDF:
	Original size: 2864668 bytes
	Compressed size: 219478 bytes
	Savings: ~92%

I know that it is obvious that we will get big savings by compressing text
files ... The question was how to implement this ...

Here is what I did:
	1. enabled mod_deflate for apache
	This differs from installation to installation, but for me, running
ubuntu, all I had to do was create 2 sym links in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
for the files deflate.conf and deflate.load in /etc/apache2/mods-available.
	2. edit the conf file
	Again this differs, but what I did was edit deflate.conf and put the
following inside:

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
	  # mime types to compress
        AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
	  # support for older browsers
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
        BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
        BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
        BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
</IfModule>

	3. I restarted apache

More doc available at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

Now when a request comes in with the header 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' apache
compresses the RDF.

Eddie