[MOBY-dev] data by reference - a request for comments

Sergio Ramirez Ramirez serr at ac.uma.es
Tue Aug 12 09:24:18 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Just an small contribution

Martin Senger wrote:
>> I would split the proposed property in the two roles it plays: one for the
>> acceptable reference types, and one for the possibly generated reference
>> types. Many services will be able to accept reference types of http, ftp or
>> other kinds, but I think they usually are only able to generate answers with
>> fewer or different ones.
>>

> I do not think that the situations will be drastically different for
> accepting and producing references - but I do not have any issue with it. I
> do not mind much how many new properties will be added to the central
> registry.

Maybe it can be a protocol between the service and the client, the
second sent the references that is able to handle and if they are agree
use one of them for the comunication if not is always possible to return
the results without use references.

If the client sent a reference (got from other service for example )
that the service can not handle it, an error or info notification can be
returned to inform about that. In this case the client can resent the
request without using references.

In this case I think is not needed to register the references that the
service can handle in the central registry, but could be a good idea for
searching compatible services with your data.

> As all mobyData blocks are sent to the same service, I'd rather attach

Could be possible to use mirrors and separated  the mobydata to sent
them to different mirror servers?

>> "acceptRefs" to mobyContent instead of mobyData, but it is only to avoid
>> redundancy.
>>

> Again, no problem with me.
>
> These are some scenarios:
>

> My question was: if a service claims that it can produce a reference, and a
> client asks for it, should the service always produce a reference? I think
> that my question was obsolete already in the time of asking it. I am
> withdrawing my question, assuming the obvious answer for the above is "yes,
> it should".

Maybe we can use some kind of algorithm to see if is will be good to use
references; for small data couldn't be useful.
Could also be defined for the client, specifying the max size that wants
to receive (in total or by object)

--
Sergio Ramírez Ramírez
Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática (INB)

"Short-term decisions tend to fail in the long-term."
            Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune