[MOBY-dev] Dashboard and date types

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Mon May 21 08:01:33 UTC 2007

HI,

have you taken into account that daylight saving is currently in effect?

No, but I thought about it. Then I let the thinking to Paul (after all, I am
using his method to convert a calendar to a string :-)).

GMT
> and UTC are not the same in that case

Well, I always thought that GMT and UTC are the same, no matter what
daylight saving time is used. And the wikipedia confirms that:

For most practical and legal-trade purposes, the fractional difference
> between UTC and UT (or GMT) is inconsequentially small, and for this reason
> UTC is colloquially called GMT sometimes, even if this is not technically
> correct.

But it could be a Java bug, because the standard says that +01:00 is a shift
> from UTC. In that case, you could validate that behavior using alternate
> Date
> and Time clases from http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/.

I would prefer to use standard Java functions. So far. I have not heard
about any related java bug (there are some bugs regarding the three-letters
abbreviations of time zones but it is not our case). Let's wait for Paul's
opinion.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com