[MOBY-dev] Updates to MOBY Central and IMPORTANT NOTES forregistry hosts

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Feb 6 15:48:40 UTC 2007

Hi Romina,

I can confirm that calling services running S::L 0.69 from a client
running S::L 0.55 is succesful.  .69 to .69 is obviously OK also.  What I
have not yet successfully tested is calling a service from a .69 client to
an earlier version on the server-side.  The way to do that would be to use
gbrowse_moby on the mobycentral machine, but I don't know what versions of
Perl anyone else is running so I can't reliably do that experiment...  can
anyone try one of their Perl services from gbrowse-moby on a server with
perl 0.60 or less?

MOBY Central itself seems fine... and Java invocations of services seem
fine also (largely because the Java libraries don't use the WSDL from MOBY
Central to create their connections... there may be a lesson in there
somewhere!  Ugh... WSDL!!)

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:38:59 -0800, Romina Royo <rroyo at lsi.upc.edu> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Mark, I just called your service and it did work.
>
> Eddy, if those are some of the errors you fixed yesterday I might be
> doing something wrong. Let me re-check everything and if the errors are
> still there I'll send you more details about the code I'm using.
>
> Thank you very much!
> Romina
>

> mark wilkinson wrote:
>> Hmmmm... Well that's a bit of a disaster!
>>
>> Could you check what happens when you call one of my services (eg
>> MOBYSHoundGetGenbankff)?  I wonder if SOAP::Lite versions don't talk to
>> each other properly (which would be a nightmare, but given our
>> experiences yesterday, not surprising!)

>> --
>> Mark Wilkinson
>> ...on the road!

>>> clients.  What we don't know is if it is backwards compatible with
>>> earlier
>>> versions of the MOBY::Client::* libraries, in particular,
>>> MOBY::Client::Service.  I *think* it is, but we didn't have the
>>> opportunity to test it.  In any case, the API did not change, so if you
>>> just cvs update your client libraries everything should come back to
>>> life
>>> if it isn't working.
>>>
>>> Upgrading to SOAP::Lite 0.69 was a nightmare!  The new SOAP::Lite
>>> behaves
>>> subtly differently than the old one in several ways that we were not
>>> expecting.  Thankfully, Pieter and Eddie had done most of the
>>> trouble-shoting already, but it still threw us for a loop in some
>>> places
>>> with incompatible SOAP version errors and a new auto-encoding of
>>> strings
>>> by SOAP::Lite that we used to do in-code by ourselves (resulting in
>>> double-coded messages).
>>>
>>> Anyway, it's done now.  Please scream loudly if it doesn't work for
>>> you!!
>>> I have backups of everything so if necessary we can roll-back quickly.
>>>
>>> All of this was done primarily to get us to be compatible with the new
>>> Asynchronous services API that use the Manchester WSRF::Lite modules
>>> which
>>> depend on SOAP::Lite 0.69.  Can I ask the good folks at INB to test the
>>> code to see if it works for them v.v. Async services?  The database can
>>> now hold Category=moby-async (which reminds me, I need to update the
>>> database templates in the CVS...), and Eddie assures me that the code
>>> will
>>> now provide correct WSDL for an Asych interface.  The myGrid folks have
>>> added moby-async as a valid service category into their ontology as
>>> well,
>>> so in principle... it should all work... (touch wood!)
>>>
>>> *********************
>>> IMPORTANTLY this means that the new MOBY Central code will likely NOT
>>> work
>>> on versions of SOAP::Lite prior to 0.69!!!  Keep this in mind if you
>>> are
>>> running your own registry...
>>>
>>> Tomorrow (if I have regained my sanity after todays hell ;-) ) I'll
>>> try to
>>> make the changes to gbrowse_moby such that it can also invoke
>>> asynchronous
>>> services.  I think the Async modules also need to be added to the