[MOBY-dev] Fwd: Briefings in Bioinformatics - Decision on BIB-07-0068

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Thu Dec 6 18:42:08 UTC 2007

Hi Mark et al.,

On 5-dec-2007, at 18:36, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Here is the (very rapid!) review from Briefings in Bioinformatics.
>
> LOL!  Well, the reviewers couldn't differ more in their desires for
> the
> manuscript!!  It's almost as if we should write TWO manuscipts...
> one for
> each audience.

"The editor leaves it to the author to decide how to deal with these
different emphases."

Hmmm that sounds like what I sometimes do when I'm making a new tool
and don't know how to solve a problem: make it a user configurable
parameter and sell my lack of inspiration as a feature as in "it's
completely customisable" :).

Anyway, in the end it's the editors who decide what they want in
their magazine, so in my opinion it's the editor who should tell us
what he/she wants in BIB. We could adjust according to reviewer one
or two or split up into two articles and adjust according to both,
but it would be a shame if we adjust to reviewer 1 and then in the
end BIB tells us they rejected the manuscript, because they were
looking for something like suggested by reviewer two. Maybe we should
just explicitly ask the editor to tell us what they want...

My 0.02 €

Pi

> Actually, I did suggest this on-list a few weeks ago, but
> nobody was brave enough to take me up on the suggestion...  are
> there any
> takers now?
>
> Comments are welcome.  I'm leaving for Moby meetings/talks in Koln,
> Wageningen, and Amsterdam tomorrow so I am away for the next 10
> days.  I
> should still have time to do some editing if anyone has suggestions.

> Best wishes!
>
> Mark

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen