[MOBY-dev] [moby] gbrowse_moby at mobycentral

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Oct 4 16:59:50 UTC 2006

The current gbrowse_moby filters services based on the "isAlive" tag
that is added to the MOBY Central copy of the RDF Signature.  Eddie will
confirm, since I haven't tested this, but I believe that you can get
this RDF metadata as one of the two ports that is provided to you by the
LSID Authority server when you attempt to resolve a service instance
LSID (one port is the address of the RDF document owned by the service
provider,and the other is the RDF document as generated by MOBY Central
containing various other metadata)

isAlive is generated every hour by a cron that sends a "ping" to the
service (as defined in earlier threads - an empty <mobyContent> tag) -
it it gets the expected response (an empty <mobyContent> block) then it
"isAlive=true", anything else sets "isAlive=false".

So... does your service respond correctly to the ping?

This is getting further and further from my own knowledge, since it is
largely Eddie now that looks after all MOBY code...

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 17:08 +0200, Dirk Haase wrote:
> Mark and/or Eddie,
>
> when I use your gbrowse_moby, I'm missing a certain service by 'seedgenes.org'
> called 'SeedGenesEmbryoImageByAgiCode'. It should be displayed
> when 'AGI_LocusCode' was selected as namespace.
>
> My first guess was that you recently switched to exclude services without
> signature URLs but eg. 'EvocName2ID' is listed in spite of not having one. So
> I'm wondering why the seedgenes.org service can not be accessed.
>
> Thanks,
> dirk
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"Since the point of a definition is to explain the meaning of a term to
   someone who is unfamiliar with its proper application, the use of
language that doesn't help such a person learn how to apply the term is
 pointless. Thus, "happiness is a warm puppy" may be a lovely thought,
                     but it is a lousy definition."
                                                                Köhler et al, 2006